We are fully committed to providing a safe and healthy working environment for every individual that works at or visits any James Hardie site.
In fiscal year 2019, our global Incident Rate and Days Away, Restricted or Transferred (DART) rates were 0.84 and 0.39, respectively. These rates are significantly better than the average in our specific industry, cement and concrete product manufacturing, which had rates at 5.0 and 3.2, respectively.
We strongly believe that any injury at any one of our sites is one too many. During fiscal year 2019 we continued to intensify our progress on our Zero Harm Culture initiative, with an enhanced focus on our commitment to provide a workplace that does not result in physical harm to any individual at any of our sites. We ensure our employees are included at the core of this commitment through their active participation in our Safety Culture Steering Committee.
The Steering Committee consists of a broad cross-section of employees from each plant as well as representatives from various corporate manufacturing and support functions.
The Safety Culture Steering Committee developed and is now implementing their multi-year plan to attain our Zero Harm Culture goal, with specific emphasis placed on a number of safety activities such as:
- SafeStart ® and Milliken Safety Way ® training for manufacturing employees and management team members;
- Sustainable housekeeping in manufacturing plants as part of our 5S initiative. Our 5S housekeeping standards are Sort, Set in order, Shine, Standardise, Sustain;
- Installation, evaluation, and improvement of our dust capture and control mechanisms to eliminate harmful employee exposures and to ensure compliance with the OSHA Silica Standard;
- Inclusion of intensive EHS analysis in all plant process modifications and expansion projects;
- Global standardisation and optimisation of safety procedures and processes to ensure minimum standards are implemented across our world-wide operations;
- Implementation of our Zero Harm Management System that provides reporting, root cause analysis, corrective action tracking, and other data analytics to support and focus resources on opportunities for improvement; and
- Provide tools and training to the installation specialists James Hardie partners with to ensure our product is installed safely and correctly.