Special Commission of Inquiry
From this page, you can access:
- The Report of the Special Commission of Inquiry
- James Hardie's submissions to each of the Commission's four Terms of Reference
Report of the Special Commission of Inquiry
On 21.09.04, Mr David Jackson QC handed the NSW Government the Report from the Special Commission of Inquiry. You can open and print the Report from the PDFs below.
The Report consists of two volumes:
- Volume 1 (PDF, 4.2Mb) contains the Report text
Part A (1.74Mb)
Part B (1.3Mb)
Part C (1.19Mb)
- Volume 2 (PDF, 47Mb) contains a series of Annexures
Due to the 47Mb size of this file, it is not available on this website. We suggest you access this from the NSW Government's Cabinet website.
Terms of Reference and Submissions by James Hardie
James Hardie made comprehensive submissions in response to each of the Terms of Reference considered by the Special Commission of Inquiry into the Medical Research and Compensation Foundation:
Term of Reference 1 (TOR1)
The current financial position of the Medical Research and Compensation Foundation (the MRCF) and whether it is likely to meet its future asbestos related liabilities in the medium to long term
- Download and print our Submission to TOR 1 (PDF, 45.2K)
- Download and print our Submission in Reply to TOR 1-3 (PDF, 745.6K)
Term of Reference 2 (TOR2)
The circumstances in which the MRCF was separated from the James Hardie Group and whether this may have resulted in or contributed to a possible insufficiency of assets to meet its future asbestos related liabilities.
Term of Reference 3 (TOR3)
The circumstances in which any corporate reconstruction or asset transfers occurred within or in relation to the James Hardie Group, prior to the separation of the MRCF from the James Hardie Group to the extent that this may have affected the ability of the MRCF to meet its current and future liabilities.
- Download and print our Submission to TORs 2-3 (PDF, 877K)
- Download and print our Submission in Reply to TORs 1-3 (PDF, 745.6K)
Term of Reference 4 (TOR4)
The adequacy of current arrangements available to MRCF under the Corporations Act to assist MRCF to manage its liabilities, and whether reform is desirable to those arrangements to assist MRCF to manage its obligations to current and future claimants.
- Download and print our Submission to TOR 4 (PDF, 157.4K)
- Download and print our Submission in Reply to TOR 4 (PDF, 156.6K)